The Office for the Aging provides services and advocacy for County residents 60 years and older. Programs and services include: Nutrition Centers and Home Delivered Meals, NY Connects, Home Care Services, Family Caregiver Support, Medical Transportation, Legal Services, Health Insurance Information Counseling and Assistance, Health Promotion Classes, Computer Classes, Nutrition Education and Nutrition Counseling.
For more information, please call (315) 386-4730.
Office for the Aging Office Hours: 8 am - 4 pm, Monday - Friday
- Valentine's Day Card Drive: Students are invited to make cards, notes, or drawings for SLC older adults. Please mail or deliver cards to the SLC Youth Bureau.
Mobile Food Pantry: Check it out!
- State of Emergency: St. Lawrence County has now issued a state of emergency. Click here for more info.
Congregate Dining: All Nutrition Centers are currently closed due to the pandemic. Home delivered meals remain open. If you are an older adult in need of food, please call NY Connects at 315-386-4730.
HEAP: The HEAP season opened on October 1st, this year. For questions regarding your HEAP application, please call the HEAP Unit at 315-379-2303.
Loan Closet: Did you know that our small community has not one, but two options for borrowing medical equipment? With these loan closets, you can borrow walkers, wheelchairs, commodes, shower chairs, and more for up to 30 days. Clarkson University in Potsdam and MILC in Massena currently both offer equipment through their loan closet program. Follow the links below
Clarkson University- https://www.clarksonassistivetech.com/aeloancloset.html
- Elder Abuse Helpline for Concerned Persons: This is a confidential service that provides support and validation to individuals 18 years or older who are concerned about an older adult in New York State they suspect is experiencing abuse or exploitation. Help line specialists are experienced in the field of aging and family violence and can provide emotional support and physical safety planning, referrals, advocacy, and education of complex systems.
- Social Security Scams: Social Security will never call or email you. If you are unsure whether the call is a scam, hang up and do not give any personal information.
The OFA is now on FaceBook! Find us and like our page at "St. Lawrence County Office for the Aging"
Senior Club Listing
View the 2020 Senior Club List.
*The 2020 list is the most recent list due to COVID-19 and senior clubs not meeting regularly in 2020.
2022 St. Lawrence County Senior Awards Recognition
The Office for the Aging and the County Council of Senior Citizens is accepting nominations for the 2022 Senior Awards including:
1) Senior Citizen of the Year
2) Outstanding Contribution by a Senior Citizen
3) Jacqueline Sears Volunteer Award
If you know an exceptional senior, 60 years of age or older, who volunteers time within their communities, please fill out a nomination form to recognize them! (J. Sears award nominee can be a volunteer of any age.)
For more information on award qualifications, and to receive nomination forms, contact the Office for the Aging at 315-386-4730.
The deadline for nominations is Friday, March 18th.
*COVID-19 Updates - Office for the Aging Programs
- The Office for the Aging is open again! Staff are working and clients can call 315-386-4730, or stop by, for assistance.
- The Office for the Aging has temporarily closed all congregate dining centers. If you are in need of food, please call our office at 315-386-4730.
COVID-19 Resources & Government Information
Suggested voluntary contribution for individuals age 60 and older is $3 per meal. There is a $5.00 Guest Fee for anyone under 60. Contributions help support the program; however no eligible client is turned away due to inability or unwillingness to contribute. We request a 24-hour reservation to eat at any meal site. For further info, please call 315-386-4730.
|Nutrition Site Location||Serving Time||Phone|
|Brasher Falls, LBSH Housing, 32 Church Street||11:30 am||315-389-5100|
|Canton, 37 Riverside Drive||11:30 am||315-386-2580|
|DeKalb Junction, Sunrise Valley Apartments, 26 Josephine St.||12:00 pm||315-347-3079|
|Gouverneur Community Center, 4673 SH 58||12:00 pm||315-287-2302|
|Morristown, Fire Station, 200 Morris St.||11:30 am||315-375-6703|
|Ogdensburg, Centennial Terrace||11:30 am||315-393-9133|
|Potsdam, Midtown Apartments, 28 Munson St.||11:30 am||315-265- 2870|
|Star Lake, Clifton-Fine Community Center, 4208 SH 3||11:30 am||315-848-2390|
For inquiries contact: NY Connects at (315) 386-4730. Current Home Delivered Meal routes serve Brasher, Canton, DeKalb, Hermon, Russell, Edwards, Star Lake, Gouverneur, Fowler, Hailesboro, Morristown, Hammond, Parishville, Potsdam, Norwood, Norfolk, Madrid, Waddington, Colton and South Colton.
Looking to Volunteer?
Are you looking to be more involved in your community? The Office for the Aging is looking for volunteers to help at any of the following sites: Nutrition Centers, OFA Main Office and Classes. Please call Danielle Durant at (315) 386-4730 or email the Office of Aging to discuss volunteer opportunities.
EPIC: Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage
EPIC is a New York State sponsored prescription program for senior citizens who need help paying for their prescriptions. EPIC works with Medicare Part D as a secondary payer. New York State residents can apply if they are 65 or older, and have an annual income of $75,000 or less if single, or $100,000 or less if married. For more information, go to www.health.ny.gov/health_care/epic/
Find My Benefits
Use this link to see what benefits you may be eligible for!
Your Link to Long Term Services and Supports is a free information and assistance service that is available to individuals of all ages and their families to help them make better decisions regarding their long term care needs. NY Connects will serve the elderly, adults and children with disabilities, regardless of their payer source. NY Connects is a trusted resource that provides impartial and unbiased information about Long Term services and supports in St. Lawrence County. Click on link for the Resource Directory.
St. Lawrence NYSARC is the operator for the County's Public Transportation Service. For info, contact Rena Ryan at 315-386-2600.